Monday, September 28, 2009

Still on a Roll

My RWA chapter conference, which must be the coolest chapter conference in the nation, has a bonus contest this year: if you registered for the conference by a certain deadline, you got to send in the first hundred words of your pitch. Then a senior Harlequin editor, who'll be presenting a workshop at the conference, went through all the pitches and picked ten people to have appointments with. (She won't be having any other appointments at the conference.) And I'm one of the ten!

It has been a very good year, contest-wise. I fear to jinx myself by entering the Golden Heart.

Anyway, now I've got three pitch appointments at the upcoming conference. Crossing my fingers they'll result in some requests for pages. And this week, I plan to send out my first unsolicited queries. I've never sent an unsolicited query before, so I'll be curious to see how that goes. The statistics on rejection vs. requests for pages are certainly daunting - it seems a lot easier to get a request through a pitch appointment.

One of my first targeted agents (for query) wants a synopsis, though, and I've got to pull a new one together. Seems like most agents want either a 1-page, 2-page, or 5-page synopsis. Mine is four pages, a length apparently of no use to anybody.

No comments: